Jazz music has a long, rich history originating from the African American culture in the late 19th century. In the mid-1900s, this genre rose to popularity with greats like Miles Davis, Chet Baker and Nina Simone releasing records that captured the attention of romantics across the world.
The beauty of jazz music is in its diversity,you can opt for fast-paced beats of scat jazz or slow things down with the sexy smooth rhythm of blues and Motown, making it a great option for a wedding reception.
To get your guests into the groove, we spoke with Melbourne-based jazz band, Orlando Combo and got the low-down on the 5 most romantic jazz songs of all time.
1. L-O-V-E by Nat King Cole. The title says it all really!
2. I’ve Got You Under My Skin by Frank Sinatra. This song is lyrically bursting with romance!
3. Fly Me To The Moon by Frank Sinatra. This tune encapsulates everything about the joy of love and a wedding in one song.
4. It Had to be You by Frank Sinatra. Another romantic classic, It Had to Be You has become popular again with modern-day maestros like Michael Bublé and Harry Connick Jr releasing their own versions. So this is bound to be a hit with guests.
5. At Last by Etta James. This is classic soul Jazz ballad and is another timeless wedding favourite.
Tossing up whether you should go for a live band or opt for an iPod? Orlando Combo say the decision all comes down to what sort of atmosphere you want to create.
There is still no substitute for the unique atmosphere that can only be created by highly skilled musicians performing live. It’s true that there is some risk in booking live entertainment for a wedding as if it is the wrong band it can be a disaster, but book the right band and your guests will have a night that they will be raving about long into the future!
Orlando Combo provides the genuine Jazz and Soul experience to create an atmosphere of sophistication, romance and joy on your most important day. Playing sophisticated jazz music from Swing and Blues all the way through to Soul and Pop classics. With a setlist that’s inspired by the likes of Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, Frank Sinatra and Michael Buble, Orlando Combo can provide you with the slow romantic tunes for the bridal waltz, or modern-day hits from Bruno Mars and Amy Winehouse.